Transformative Journal of Izzany Nadiera Rahaman

Self Reflection- Izzany Nadiera Rahaman


When we decided to have a program at SKPK, I am worried and nervous. I should at least learn some sign language but due to time restraints, I’m unable to. I’m worried that I might not able to communicate with them. How do I talk? How do I react to them? The journey to SKPK seems so fast as I fell asleep in the car because I couldn’t get a sleep the night before. With mentally and physically tired, we finally arrived at SKPK. We were welcomed by the head of The Parent Teacher Association, the headmaster, and also the teachers in charge there. When the warden came in with the students of SKPK, I couldn’t stop smiling as they are so cute.

When we being divided into groups, I went for group number 1 . All of us being so shy at first, my group have 5 members which is Aina, Zamir, Adam, Wafiy and Firdaus. Its really hard to communicate with them at first but I’m not giving up. I tried to explain with body languages . Surprisingly, they do understand. When we’re having activities together, as their facilitator, I can see that they are really smart and artistic . I had some chit-chat with the warden, he told me that even though, some of them are not doing well in studies but they are talented in arts and sports, especially Wafiy and Zamir. I am impressed when I heard it. Even though my group doesn’t win the first place in some games but, I could see the determination of winning in them. I always told them not to give up, at some point I just realized that they couldn’t hear me. It makes my heart hurts a little bit thinking about that.

The last day there was the most heartbreaking moment for me, Aina hugs me as she doesn’t want me to go. As we spent 2 days together, no words could describe how much we care about each other. They really motivates me to learn sign language, so that we can communicate and sharing things with each other and I can make better place for them. Somehow, I am impressed on how they manage to adjusting their life at hostel at such young age, where kids of the same age as them receive so much love from their family, living in their own home. I don’t know how it felt being neglected by the family because of their disability, but somehow I feel connected to them. They just need a person to talk to, to share to. The values that I received when engaging with them is not to give up in my life. There is a barrier for them in their life, but the determination and patience is above everything. If I was given another chance to do Social engagement again in the future, I will not hesitate to do it again. Thank You SKPK.


Izzany Nadiera Binti Rahaman
CIA160044

BAcc Group 5

Comments

Popular Posts