Transformative journal of Arina Mokhtar

By the time we arrived at the location, the children were waiting for us. Some of us were so nervous especially me because, this is my first time participating in a social activity for disabled children who are deaf. Most of my friend who already did their social engagement sharing their story with me that some of the children are very stubborn and it was difficult to control them during the activities. They also thought that it would be hard to handle an event with that kind of people. For some reasons, it happened to persuade my mind. But deep inside my heart I didn’t think that all of them are stubborn as they told me, and if we try to understand them maybe we can guide them properly.
   
As we entered the hall, the students greet us cheerfully and honestly I felt very excited. And I could feel how excited they were like I was feeling at that time. So I introduced myself and they named me “na”, they also thought me how to spell my name in sign language. I felt very happy because I am very sociable person but I never had a chance to meet anyone like them.
  
During our stay for two days, we did many fun activities as possible. And the activity that makes me impressed the most with them is crossword puzzle challenge. It is hard to believe that they were able to find the words very fast, which is around 3 words in a minute.  That is quite fast compare to normal children that I ever participate before. So it makes me realize that even though they are deaf, they actually have special talent by using their eyes. So clearly we can’t underestimate people just because they are not normal like us, maybe they could be better than us. Who knows. It is just they have no chance to show or prove it.
  
I love to record videos and take pictures while doing these activities with them. Especially when we played a game that is like fashion show which we called it “supermodel”. In this game, we are only allowed to use newspapers and tissues to fashion these kids. So each group will send a representative as their model. Azlin and I decided to make a dress for our group that will be different from the other groups. But the funny part was, I have to take Danial as our model because he’s the smallest among the children from our group so it will be easier for us to make the dress. By hook or by crook, he had to be a girl and had to wear a dress that decorated by us including a handbag. These kids had to walk like a model to present their costumes so it will be easier for the teachers to decide the winner. When it was our group’s turn, we were surprised when Danial walked in catwalk style and did flying kiss while promoting the dress. Because as we know Danial was an introvert kid and always try to avoid to talk with us. I can say, that part was the highlights of that day. Because of him the judges decided to choose our group as the winner.
 
My friends were extremely wrong about them. I’ve learned that those children were very unique. They were very different than the others. They were very honest, friendly and lovely. I was so happy to spend some time with these beautiful and joyful children. It was a pleasure to play and study with them. The teachers and the staff of the school were wonderful persons and I was glad to meet them. It was an unforgettable experience! I hope all of them will be successful people in the future and hope that many more people will volunteer themselves to do such activities in the school of such people, the gifted ones. By this, they will always remember their presence in this world because they want their human rights recognized and realized. They want the things that everyone else in the community takes for granted. They want somewhere to live, better health care, a good education, a chance to enjoy the company of friends and family. They want the chance to participate meaningfully in the life of the community. And they are hopeful. They desire change and they want others in the community to share their vision. This will be unforgettable memories and experiences in my life. It makes me realize the meaning of loving and appreciation.

My Lovely Group

Comments

Popular Posts